Tuesday 7 July 2015

Gamebook - Librogame

(scroll down for Italian version - scorrere in basso per versione italiana)

Gamebooks were the most significant anchors to my inner peace. Looking back, I remember always going back to them as a way of soothing my anxiety during stressful periods. They were very common when I was a kid, but when their time was over they became a cult and collector’s item. Perhaps in the future I will address what I think about who tries to make an honest job out of vintage toys and who, on the other hand, simply tries to profit from accumulating items and inflating their prices.

My first gamebook!
My teacher in elementary first introduced me to gamebooks, when I was only 8 years old. My parents followed her suggestion to encourage me to read more, and bought me two books. I still have fond memories of my mother reading and playing our first gamebook together, Ian Livingstone’s classic “The Forest of Doom”. I instantly fell in love with that type of book.

It wasn’t after long that I began to avidly collect all the gamebooks I could find. Being only a kid, I had to rely on my parents and grandparents to go to libraries and bookstores and for money. After a while, my grandparents took the habit of taking me to the closest city’s market every Tuesday, and each time we would go to the same bookstore and buy a new gamebook.

My favourites where the already mentioned “Fighting Fantasy” series, by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, and the “Sorcery!” series by the latter, along with the very popular “Lone Wolf” series by Joe Dever, which was initially illustrated by Gary Chalk. I was also a big fan of Herbie Brennan’s work and of the “Blood Sword” series by Morris and Johnson (I loved Blood Sword!), as well as many other series and authors.

Unfortunately, the publisher for all these gamebooks in my country started printing fewer and fewer copies over the years, and finding the books became quite hard, especially for a teenager living in the countryside. After a while, I became content with my small collection, and switched to other, more accessible hobbies, such as board games, role-playing games, and videogames.

Still, the passion for them remained and as I said, from time to time I replayed some of the book series. It worked as a tranquilizer, and I didn’t understand why until much later. I always kept my collection in order, but I haven’t been looking for more gamebooks for a very long time. Of course, if I would stumble upon a gamebook that I didn’t have in a flea market or a remainder bookshop, I would buy it.

Until last year, that is. One day I walked into a small store, one that I had never been to, because it was in a part of town that I don’t visit very often.  I had been told that this shop might have some old fantasy and sci-fi books, or even some used gamebooks. My hopes weren’t very high, because usually I would find the most common books of a popular series… well, this time I wasn’t disappointed. I gave a quick look around the shelves, and not seeing anything of interest, I did something I usually hate doing. I asked the store manager for information.

“Uhm, excuse me? Do you have any old gamebooks?” I asked, half-ashamed of asking such a question at my age.

“Sure, look behind the rack with the birthday cards.” The store manager replied, calm and not at all shocked by my request.

I moved the small circular rack to the side. A small display, standing almost as tall as me and only a couple of feet wide, contained a few shelves. They were filled with gamebooks. Ones I had never seen before, or that I’d only seen once or twice in a library or at a store, but never managed to get my hands on before they were gone. I was overwhelmed with excitement. I felt like a miner that finally hit the mother lode. I swear, I felt as if I was 10 years old again, I had entered the shop holding hands with my grandparents, and had walked up to the shelf to choose the week’s gamebook. Tears came to my eye. I had to have those gamebooks, as many as I could. I had to take them to Tanelorn.

___________________________________________________

I librogame erano l’appiglio più significativo alla mia pace interiore. Guardandomi indietro, ricordo di averli sempre ripresi per placare la mia ansia in periodi difficili. Erano molto diffusi quando ero un ragazzino, ma quando la loro epoca finì divennero oggetti di culto e da collezione. Forse in futuro spiegherò cosa penso di chi cerca di fare dei giochi d’epoca un onesto lavoro e di chi, all'opposto, cerca solo di speculare accumulando oggetti e gonfiandone il prezzo.

Il mio primo librogame!

La mia maestra delle elementari fu la prima ad introdurmi ai librogame, quando avevo solo 8 anni. I miei genitori seguirono il suo suggerimento per incoraggiarmi a leggere di più, e mi comprarono due libri. Ricordo ancora con piacere di quando mia madre ed io leggemmo il nostro primo librogame, il classico di Ian Livingstone “La Foresta Maledetta”. Mi innamorai all'istante di quel genere di libri.

Non ci volle molto perché iniziassi a collezionare avidamente tutti I librogame che riuscivo a trovare. Essendo solo un bambino, dipendevo dai miei genitori e dai miei nonni per andare in biblioteche e librerie e per i soldi. Dopo un po’, divenne abitudine che i miei nonni mi portassero con loro al mercato della città più vicina ogni Martedì, ed ogni volta andavamo dallo stesso libraio per comprare un nuovo librogame.

I miei preferiti erano la già citata serie “Dimensione Avventura”, di Ian Livingstone e Steve Jackson, a la serie “Sortilegio” di quest’ultimo, oltre alla popolarissima serie di “Lupo Solitario” di Joe Dever, che era inizialmente illustrata da Gary Chalk. Ero anche un grande fan dei lavori di Herbie Brennan e della serie “Blood Sword” di Morris e Johnson (adoravo Blood Sword!), e di molte altre serie ed autori.

Sfortunatamente, l’editore di tutti questi librogame nel mio paese iniziò a stamparne sempre meno col passare degli anni, e trovare i libri divenne piuttosto difficile, specialmente per un adolescente che viveva in campagna. Dopo qualche tempo, mi accontentai della mia piccola collezione, e passai ad altri hobby, più accessibili, come giochi in scatola e di ruolo e videogiochi.

Eppure, la mia passione per essi rimase, e come ho detto di tanto in tanto giocavo di nuovo alcune serie di libri. La cosa fungeva da tranquillante e non ne capii il perché fino a molto tempo dopo. Ho sempre tenuto in ordine la mia collezione, ma non ho cercato nuovi librogame per un sacco di tempo. Naturalmente se mi capitava di trovarne uno che mi mancava ad un mercatino o in un negozio di libri usati, lo compravo.

O meglio, questo fino all'anno scorso. Un giorno entrai in un negozietto, uno nel quale non ero mai stato, perché si trovava in una parte della città che non frequento spesso. Mi era stato detto che il negozio poteva avere dei vecchi libri fantasy e di fantascienza, e forse pure dei librogame usati. Non avevo grandi speranze, perché di solito trovavo i libri più comuni di qualcuna delle serie più diffuse… be’, questa volta non rimasi deluso. Detti un’occhiata veloce agli scaffali e non vedendo niente di interessante, feci una cosa che detesto fare, di solito. Chiesi informazioni al gestore.

“Ehm, mi scusi? Avete dei vecchi librogame?” chiesi, vergognandomi un po’ per aver fatto una domanda simile alla mia età.

“Certo, guarda dietro la rastrelliera coi biglietti d’auguri.” Rispose il negoziante, calmo e niente affatto turbato dalla mia richiesta.


Scostai la piccola rastrelliera circolare. Un piccolo espositore, alto quasi quanto me e largo mezzo metro, conteneva alcuni scaffali. Erano pieni di librogame. Alcuni che non avevo mai visto, altri che avevo visto una o due volte in biblioteche o negozi, senza fare in tempo ad accaparrarmeli prima che sparissero. Ero sopraffatto dall'emozione. Mi sentivo come un minatore che aveva trovato la vena principale. Giuro, mi sentii come se avessi di nuovo 10 anni, fossi entrato nel negozio tenuto per mano dai nonni, e mi fossi avvicinato allo scaffale per scegliere il librogame della settimana. Mi vennero le lacrime agli occhi. Dovevo avere qui librogame, tutti quelli che potevo prendere. Dovevo portarli a Tanelorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment